1And you were dead in your trespasses and sins,
- His power toward us was demonstrated by the resurrection of Jesus Christ
- he was taken from the depths of hell and death and brought and seated at the Right Hand of God
- Even as HE was dead so we were dead in sin - even as He was raise so shall we be raised OUT of SIN into life
- We were spiritually dead - a very real death - a death that only continued and grew as the body died
- Dead toward God - we did not desire Him - or find Him delightful
- We do not understand Him
- This death is described in the next verse:
2in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience.
- You FORMERLY walked - this is not the life of those who have been touched and changed by the power of God.
- The Course of this world - (Guzik The “life” of death)
- enslaved to the “prince of the power of the air"
- Paul didn’t talk much about Satan
- Prince (ruler or chief) - a person of authority
- the power of the air
- not necessarily where the spirit’s dwell
- the atmosphere - the “air we breathe” so to speak - the invisible influence all around us
- the spirit that is at work in the “sons of disobedience"
- his ways and his thought patterns are alive in them
- Sons of disobedience
- we were born of sin
- we carried its image
- we could not escape it in our own power no matter how hard we tried
- vs 3 - living in the lust of our flesh
- indulging the desires of the flesh
- desires of the flesh
- desire is not wrong by itself
- the flesh is not always evil
- the idea is that these are desire that come ONLY from the flesh and not arising from Faith or from the Holy Spirit at work inside of us
- fleshly desires without guidance without a guide lead to destruction
- it is not the job of the flesh to direct us
- Gal 5:18 - sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21envy,d drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
- 1 Peter 2:11 - sinful desires wage war against your soul
- the desires of the mind
- the mind apart from the influence of the Spirit
- by nature children of wrath
- our very nature lead us deeper into destruction
- our very nature lead us further from God
3Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the fleshand of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.
4But God, - Oh this is such a beautiful word
- We were so lost
- He did not leave us there
being rich in mercy,because of His great love with which He loved us,
- He is RICH in mercy
- BECAUSE of HIS GREAT LOVE
- it is the love of God which is the flowing fountain of the mercy of God
- We cannot see the mercy of God apart from the love of God
- he is not merciful because it’s “not a big deal"
- he is not merciful because he feels guilty being “mean” to us
- MERCY comes from His love and is as never ending as his LOVE!
5even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),
- He loves us BEFORE we have done anything to love Him
- Christ was dead - we were dead - God made Jesus alive - He also made us alive together with Jesus.
- The same power that raised Jesus from the dead is active in your spirit, soul, and body RIGHT NOW!
- by grace you have been saved - HE DID IT - YOU DIDN”T DO IT - you didn’t deserve it - you can’t earn it. IT’s FREE
6and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly [places] in Christ Jesus,
- Christ was raised up - we are raised up - Christ was seated in heavenly places - WE ARE SEATED with HIM
- We have been brought into a mystical union with Christ
- we have been joined with him.
- Through Faith we have been JOINED to Christ - we are his bride
- His righteous life becomes our righteous life
- His death becomes our death
- His record our record
- his Spirit OUR Spirit
- his inheritance OUR inheritance
- His suffering our suffering
- HIs mission our mission
- His authority our authority
- He is still the head - we only exorcise these as we continue in unity “abiding” in Him
- "Yes, this is here given as the final glory of the infinitely exalted Christ. Angels and archangels are subject to Him. But believing men are joined to Him, with a union such that He and they, by this same messenger of His, are called elsewhere (1 Corinthians 12:12) one 'Christ.' " (Moule)
7so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassingriches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
- We were seated in Christ Jesus so that he might show the riches of grace and kindness
- We are eternal demonstrations of the kindness and the grace of God
- in us
- to us
- out of us
- through us
- the universe sees the kindness and grace of God because He has poured it out on us.
8For by grace you have been saved through faith;and that not of yourselves, [it is] the gift of God;
- Everybody knows this verse but how many of you have asked what the “for” is for?
- He is unpacking what he just said.
- We are joined to Christ
- brought from death to life
- raised and seated in Heavenly places
- THAT IS A DEMONSTRATION OF GOD’S GRACE BECAUSE
- by grace - for free, unearned, not because of our goodness or anything inside us
- we have been saved
- through faith - and not faith you gave yourself or bought for yourself but faith that was given to you!
9not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
- God didn’t do this for you because you earned it
- If God was just paying you what you earned then it wouldn’t be kindness or grace
- God did it all for you apart from anything you ever did - because He wanted to be the ONLY ONE who could boast about you. He wanted to be the ONLY ONE who got credit for what you are becoming.
10For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.
- HIS workmanship - God is the one at work
- Phili 2:13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.
- Even the good works that we do were prepared beforehand for us to walk in.
- All of it. Every scrap is a gift! Every moment of our lives is grace - an undeserved gift given to us by an incomprehensibly generous God - for His glory and our joy
- Everything we have ever done or will ever do will bring NO GLORY to us and great glory to God!!