- From here on out we run into controversy
- I tend to believe this is a portion scripture in which Paul takes on the voice of a Jew before the Gospel and then in chapter 8 we see the power of the Gospel
- Others like to teach that this is a description of the struggle of a person against their sinful nature.
- I do not think you can read these next few verses and then the first few verses of Romans 8 and believe they were written by the same man.
- He begins this in verse 13 when he says “sin in order that it might be proved sinful etc” Now he walks out that metaphor
15For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I [would] like to [do], but I am doing the verything I hate. 16But if I do the very thing I do not want [to do], I agree with the Law, [confessing] that the Law is good. 17So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. 18For I knowthat nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good [is] not. 19For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want.20But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwellsin me.
- The sin that dwelt in him was the one turning the law against him - He wanted to obey but could not The law was no help.
21I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good. 22For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, 23but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members. 24Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death?
( 25Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! he breaks character here to answer the qeustion of his old self) So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin.
- This was his helpless state before the Gospel - now lets talk about what the Gospel WILL DO FOR HIM!!!
Deliverance from Bondage
- There is NOW no condemnation - the last part of chapter 7 was in the PAST this a description of Paul’s life NOW
- Condemnation - to be condemned means destined for destruction - you are no longer condemned!!!
- The “law” is in reference to a “system” a process.
- We no longer labor under the inability of the old law / way / dispensation…(Greek - to parcel out - mode of operation) like law of gravity
- The law(mode of operation) of the Spirit of life - the Holy Spirit! The movement and power of the Holy Spirit Himself has set us free! Never depersonalize this verse. Never make it like the law of gravity - just some force at work in us NO this is the personal omnipotent God at work in us to set us free.
3For what the Lawcould not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God [did]: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and [as an offering] for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, 4so that the requirementof the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
- He set it up so that the law was confined to the flesh - we being joined with Jesus in death and resurrection are no longer "according to the flesh” we are a people “according to the Spirit” so the law has no power over us any more
- The Law could not bend or change or help
- So God did what the Law could never do - Jesus “passed the bar" fulfilled the requirements and took us with Him via the Spirit
5For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace,
- those who are according to the flesh can only think fleshly thoughts - they are trapped in the old with no ability to even think like the one led by the Spirit -
- their mind is SET the word “set”is not there. It says "the mind that is flesh” and “the mind that is Spirit”
- This is revisited in Romans 12:2 when He says - "BE transformed by the renewing of you mind”
- Mind set on the flesh is DEATH - it has no life in it and cannot have life because of the law
- Mindset of the Spirit is LIFE AND PEACE
- St Augustine "You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.”
- Heb 11:6 - And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.
- They cannot please God because they are still connected to the old system.
- We are filled with the Holy Spirit
- It is by His power we overcome the law
- If the Holy Spirit is not active and powerful inside of us then we are not saved.
10If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness. 11But ifthe Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.
- This is the resurrection bomb I talked about before
- The Spirit has been made alive and that influence of the Holy Spirit moves OUTWARD from our spirits eventually to our bodies
- this includes good works and the fruit of the Spirit.