12Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned-- 13for until the Law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law.14Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the likeness of the offense of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come.
- Paul is trying to get to talk about how this free gift of salvation IS but he bumps the opposite real quick
- Sin entered the world through Adam - and because of Sin DEATH also entered the world - and it infected the entire human race! The brokenness spread from Adam and touch every other man until the NEW ADAM came.
- Jesus HAD to be Human to save us - but he also had to be another “son of God” just as Adam was because he was to serve as the NEW Adam - the beginner of a restored race!
- Sin may not have been known in the specific but its influence (through death) was still being seen in all the human race
15But the free gift is not like the transgression For if by the transgression of the one the many died, much moredid the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abound to the many.
- The sin that was brought into the world and the Gospel are NOT mirror opposites of one another. The stand opposed but they are different
- Adam’s sin brought death for all men
- Jesus GIFT brings MUCH MORE than just a cancellation of that sin
16The gift is not like [that which came] through the one who sinned; for on the one hand the judgment [arose] from one[transgression] resulting in condemnation, but on the other hand the free gift [arose] from many transgressions resulting in justification.
- the sin of Adam was a singular sin
- Jesus death on the cross eliminates BILLIONS OF SINS over BILLIONS of lives!
17For if by the transgression of the one, death reigned through the one, much more thosewho receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, JesusChrist.
- Sin and death reigned because of Adam’s sin
- Because of Jesus Cross - righteousness will Reign
- death is an ending a finality
- righteousness is life and life more abundant!
18So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men. 19For as through the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the One the many will be made righteous. 20The Law came in so that the transgression would increase; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more,21so that, as sin reigned in death, even so grace would reign through righteousness to eternal life through JesusChrist our Lord.