VII. THE PROPHETIC HEART OF THE BRIDEGROOM GOD (SONG 4:1-8)
- Hear the voice of Jesus singing over you! - He desires you - that is reality - he finds you enjoyable - beautiful
- Your eyes are like doves behind your veil - he sees the depths of her
2"Your teeth are like a flock of [newly] shorn ewes Which have come up from [their] washing, All of which bear twins, And not one among them has lost her young.3"Your lips are like a scarlet thread, And your mouth is lovely. Your temples are like a slice of a pomegranate Behind your veil.
- There may be symbolic meanings here but I am not going into them now. The point is that he knows every part of her. He is familiar with everything about her AND HE ENJOYS every part of her.
- we so often feel like there might be PART of us that God enjoys but that there are other realities in us he despises or wishes weren’t there. Not the case. He sees it all and he is delighted by it all.
- The Lord comes to us to enjoy us. He spends time thinking about us. He cherishes the time we spend together
- the mountain of myrrh are our places of difficulty the hill of frankincense is our rejoicing. In both our bad times and good he adores us and we bring him joy.
- He is committed to encounter us in every moment of our lives, and to stay in that place of encounter as often and as long as we need Him there.
- We simply don’t believe he means this - how can he say that when we are so flawed???
- Again he is speaking of how HE SEES us, and He is not deluded. He sees all of us, the end and the beginning and all of it in between
- he loves the journey we are on
- he loves the yes we are giving Him now
- He knows his own power and ability to bring us to the end
- Jude 1:24 - Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy,
- Col 1:22 - he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him,
- See the now and the not yet in these two verses - we are made perfect NOW - we are kept and moving forward until the end.
8"[Come] with me from Lebanon, [my] bride, May you come with me from Lebanon. Journey down from the summit of Amana,From the summit of Senir and Hermon, From the dens of lions, From the mountains of leopards.
- Here it is again - the call of the Bridegroom to adventure - to move forward to all he knows we are capable of!
VIII. THE RAVISHED HEART OF THE BRIDEGROOM GOD (SONG 4:9-5:1)
- WHAT? I have stirred the emotions of Him? The Gen 1 God. The bigger than the universe God? My attention. The gaze of my heart stirs the heart of the uncreated - help me believe this
- All things that are enjoyable - my love is better - the overflows of my heart delight him. He is
- The fruit of my lips - my songs - my prayers - they are sweet and refreshing to him - Lebanon was known for its cedar trees - the pine smell
- ONLY for Him. All my delights are ONLY for Him
- All of the treasures of my heart belong to Him and him alone
- A call to the Holy Spirit - bring me Jesus! If he is delighted by me let me delight him. Let him kiss me.
- A promise - no matter what is coming I am his!
- A statement of understanding and trust that no matter what we go through He will enjoy me! NOT ONLY THAT - He will use all the circumstances of my life to make Himself known to me and to bring me closer to Him and to make me more fruitful I TRUST HIM!!!
1"I have come into my garden, my sister, [my] bride; I have gathered my myrrh along with my balsam. I have eaten my honeycomb and my honey; I have drunk my wine and my milk. Eat, friends; Drink and imbibe deeply, O lovers."
- He responds to her promise and her faith and encounters her again
- she is encouraged to take full advantage of this moment because her call of faith is propelling her into another season of stretching
IX. THE ULTIMATE TWOFOLD TEST OF MATURITY (SONG 5:2-8)
2"I was asleep but my heart was awake. A voice! My beloved was knocking: 'Open to me, my sister, my darling, My dove, my perfect one! For my head is drenched with dew, My locks with the damp of the night.'
- Once again he comes to her as she is in the place of encounter but He is no longer there
- She does not expect him
- She is not prepared for him -
- she is hesitant to move from this place again
- He is reaching for her - calling for her!
- He is “picking the lock of her heart"
- Barnes - Put in his hand - Through (literally "from") the hole (of the lock), in order to raise the pins by which the bolt was fastened. The Oriental lock is a hollow piece of wood attached to the doorpost, into which a sliding-bolt is made to run. As soon as the bolt has been driven home a number of pins drop into holes prepared in it for their reception. To raise these pins, and so enable the bolt to be withdrawn, is to unfasten the lock. This is commonly done by means of the key (literally "opener"), but may often be accomplished by the fingers if dipped in paste or some other adhesive substance. For such a purpose the beloved inserts his fingers here anointed with the costly unguent, which will presently distil on those of the bride when she rises to open to him.
- His calling STIRS her to move and change - to seek.
- she awakes - she gets up and moves
- she encounters the very thing that he tried to use to get to her and because of it opening the door to him is harder than it was before
- she tries but it is difficult
- He is gone
- She calls but he doesn’t answer she missed Him
- She does what she did before - but it only ends in pain
- The very ones who were supposed to lead her to him - abuse her
- wounded me - they were abusive and hurtful
- took away my shawl - left me exposed and embarrassed
- Here is her response - I am lovesick!
- Not angry.
- NOT OFFENDED! - ALL I WANT IS YOU!
- Adversity stokes the fire of her love
X. THE BRIDE’S RESPONSE: SHE IS LOVESICK INSTEAD OF OFFENDED (SONG 5:8-6:5)
- When the church sees this they WONDER at her passion and she begins to instruct them - even from her place of pain.
- Her place of pain has become her ministry
Admiration by the Bride
- ruddy - his face is flushed with desire!!
- more desirable than all things
- His leadership and wisdom is perfect and delightful
- HIS EYES are like doves!!! He is single minded!!! Desirous of ME!
- His emotions are deeply satisfying
- His word is the delight of my heart
- His actions
- His motives and His emotions again she speaks about His heart - it is precious
- He is swift and powerful
- He is immovable unchangeable, sturdy and strong
- He is majestic and mysterious deeply alluring
- Again his WORD and the revelation of His word to her heart is sweet - delightful - WHOLLY DESIRABLE
- the whole of him desires or delights
- ALL TOGETHER LOVELY!!!
- "Why should I endeavor to express His beauty piecemeal when He is in Himself and altogether the One longed-for, drawing all to love, compelling all to love, and inspiring with a longing (for His company) not only those who see, but also those who hear?” Theoderet
- here it is! - that we may seek him with you! Her passion stirs the passion of everyone around her!
She realizes now that she knows where he is and that she can find him because he is waiting for her EXACTLY WHERE she asked him to be! In the garden waiting for her.
He sees her beautiful as the royal city
As lovely as the chosen city
as “terrible” awe inspiring - and strong!! as an army with banners!
This verse BLOWS MY CIRCUITS!!!!