Follow along in our visual presentation as a well - http://prezi.com/aio44x3z-9_d/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy
Vs 1-19 This chapter begins with Daniel studying scripture!!! - as he sees the prophetic promise of God intercession is birthed in him - this is one of the many reasons God gave us his word!
- His word is a promise for us to look forward to
- His word is a way for us to see who he is and what he is like
- His word is an invitation for us to participate in the activity of the Heart of God - as these things unfold in end days it will be the church praying like Daniel that unleash the promised judgment and the blessing! - Come Quickly Lord Jesus!!!!
Vs 20-23 Gabriel comes and gives him the answer to his prayer
Vs 24-27 Daniel is given understanding - NOT ONLY about the restoration of Israel to the land - but also about the destiny of Israel to the end of time
- God so often does this we understand his heart for a moment and the generosity of God is unlocked to pour out FAR MORE than we expected or asked for!
- Abraham - Gen 15 - he meditates on the promises of God and asks for understanding and is given revelation of the entire future of his race
- David - 1 Chron 17 - he wanted to build the temple - God said no - but then gave the promise of the messiah and the Davidic covenant was born
- Seventy “7s” its like our term “decade” it just means 10 - this 7 is referring to 7 years
- not necessarily consecutive years - just years
- this is the divine Jerusalem calendar
- your people and your holy city - the Israeli People and the city of Jerusalem
- please understand! This is about Israel and Jerusalem - so there are a lot of things that are NOT mentioned in this prophecy!
- it does give us a good overview however of God’s timing and plan as regards to the end times
6 promises for Israel and Jerusalem -
- to finish the transgression,
- possibly Israel’s transgression as a people
- possibly ALL transgression - both will take place in this plan of God
- to make an end of sin,
- to finish the rule of sin
- sin and all that it will do to the world will be finished - over
- it’s power will be at an end - forever
- to make atonement for iniquity,
- to appease the wrath of God
- to make peace where there is offense
- to bring in everlasting righteousness,
- releasing the wisdom of God
- bring in God’s ways
- he is not just ending what’s wrong - he is releasing what is right
- to seal up vision and prophecy
- his whole plan will be brought to an end
- the drama of the human story will be finally unfolded
- the groaning of creation will be answered
- and to anoint the most holy[place].
- the dwelling of God will be with man
- His promise to make Jerusalem the place where his name dwells will be fulfilled ultimately and forever
- We now know the starting point of the 70 week period
- within the first 69 weeks Jerusalem will be rebuilt
- it will have a plaza and a moat
- and it will undergo times of distress
- 4 possible decrees match this description - Guszik
- Cyrus made a decree giving Ezra and the Babylonian captives the right to return to Jerusalem and rebuild the temple in 538 B.C. (Ezra 1:1-4 and 5:13-17).
- Darius made a decree giving Ezra the right to rebuild the temple in 517 B.C. (Ezra 6:6-12).
- Artaxerxes made a decree giving Ezra permission, safe passage, and supplies to return to Jerusalem to rebuild the temple in 458 B.C. (Ezra 7:11-26).
- Artaxerxes made a decree giving Nehemiah permission, safe passage and supplies to return to Jerusalem to rebuild the city and the walls in 445 B.C. (Nehemiah 2:1-8).
- Some say the 483 years were completed at the triumphal entry of Jesus (if dated at A.D. 32). Sir Robert Anderson's significant work The Coming Prince followed this argument in great detail.
- Anderson, using a 360-day year (which Israel used in Daniel's day), calculated 173,880 days from the decree to the triumphal entry, fulfilling the prophecy to the day. "It is customary for the Jews to have twelve months of 360 days each and then to insert a thirteenth month occasionally when necessary to correct the calendar."
- "No one today is able dogmatically to declare that Sir Robert Anderson's computations are impossible." (Walvoord)
- This is the crucifixion of jesus - but the resurrection of Jesus is not foretold here… interesting
- Rome - is always connected with Antichrist
- the prince who is to come - Daniel knows who Gabe is talking about! he has watched the mystery unfold in his visions previous
- in 70 AD the city of Jerusalem and the temple were utterly destroyed by Rome (with a flood) means with a great army - and there was that!
- Jesus prophesied this destruction in Matt 24
- Many wars and many desolations have passed over Jerusalem since then and more are coming
- Pay attention! He’s talking weeks again!
- there is a gap that opens at Jesus death the 70 weeks get put on pause until the next event
- the covenant with many - an agreement including Antichrist, pertaining to Israel and Jerusalem - possibly an agreement to allow them to rebuild the temple!
- we have the beginning of the final week - Daniel’s 70th week -"The 70th week will begin when the Jewish people are restored in unbelief to their land and city; and among them will be found a faithful remnant, owning their sin, and seeking Jehovah's face." (Henry Ironside writing in 1911)
- Can you imagine what the world would do for a man who can fix the tensions in the middle east?
- Can you imagine what the world would do for a man who can disarm the Islamic crisis in that region?
- How impossible is it that the Jewish temple could be built again in the place of the Dome of the Rock???? - but we know there is a temple again because of the next verse!
- Much of Israel will think the Antichrist is the messiah - John 5:43
- Since in AD 70 Israel ceased to exist as a nation many Bible scholars tried to find other ways to interpret verses like this -
- only since 1948 has Israel been a nation again
- only since 1967 has Jerusalem been a part of the nation of Israel
- there is currently no temple - just watch!!!!
- three and 1 half years after the treaty is made the antichrist will stop the sacrifices in the temple
- he will perform abominations - we will explore this later in Matt 24
- one who makes desolate - this is one of the names of Antichrist
- The wrath of God will be poured out upon him and his kingdom
- complete destruction set loose by his abominations
Matt 24 - Jesus on End Times
- There are three questions here - Jesus will answer them all
- when will “these things happen”? - these things refer to the destruction of the temple Jesus mentions in verse 1 and 2
- what will be the sign of Your coming
- and of the end of the age
- A warning from the Lord to be mindful and watchful - there will be false prophets and false Christs who will mislead
- the antichrist is the greatest of these but not the first or only
- this is part of the answer for the first question - wars, rumors, not yet the end
- these are signs and have been happening - Jesus is saying not to freak out at each natural disaster these things are the beginning of birth pains
- that may mean they are the beginning
- it may mean they are NOTHING in comparison to all that will come in the time of the end
- This was happening from only a few years after Jesus death and resurrection
- it is happening more now than ever
- more Christians will die for their faith this year than any year in history
- The antichrist will conduct the wholesale slaughter of Christians for 3.5 years
10"At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another. 11"Many false prophets will ariseand will mislead many. 12"Because lawlessness is increased, most people's love will grow cold.
- This is corroborated in Thes - the great falling away
- The love of MANY - this is scary - will YOU grow cold??
- Jesus said this again in Revelation to the churches
- HOLD ON! Just keep saying yes
- This sign is one of the most important of all
- it has yet to come to pass but we get closer every day
- most missiologists believe that every unreached people group on earth will be reached with the Gospel within 10 years!
- Jesus says - “look at Daniel!!!"
- WHEN YOU SEE - who is he speaking to??? - His disciples - why would he be talking to Jews who would not read his words? He is talking to us! OK then please remember this if you want to interpret when we will be caught away. He is either talking to Christians who are saved after the Rapture - and there will be many - or he is talking to we who are going to be there for this whole thing
16then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains.17"Whoever is on the housetop must not go down to get the things out that are in his house. 18"Whoever is in the fieldmust not turn back to get his cloak. 19"But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in thosedays! 20"But pray that your flight will not be in the winter, or on a Sabbath.
- RUN! the all out persecution of the saints and the jews will begin at the Abomination - children will be a burden to our flight as would bad weather or travel constrictions of the Sabbath
- I hear Daniel in these words - Dan 12:1
- Are you hearing this? - This is the ugliness of sin, This is the holiness of God, this is the truth of His great worth - He is worthy of the end of all life - yet even now he will be cutting it short
23"Then if anyone saysto you, 'Behold, here is the Christ,' or There [He is],' do not believe [him]. 24"For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will show great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect. 25"Behold, I have told you in advance. 26"So if they say to you, 'Behold, He is in the wilderness,' do not go out, [or], 'Behold, He is in the inner rooms,' do not believe [them].
- OK there will be false prophets - he is telling us!
- Listen to what he is saying in the next verse
- IN other words - his coming will NOT be secret!!
- Every eye will see him - Rev 1:7
- They will see the Son of Man coming - Luke 21:27
- Does this sound like Left Behind to you?? - there are two explanations
- this isn’t the rapture but the second coming
- there isn’t a secret rapture….. just one at the end of all of this that will happen very much in the open.
- Where ever the corpse is - this is a direct allusion to the death that will occur as he comes to the battle we know as Armageddon
The Glorious Return
29"But immediately after the tribulation of those days THE SUN WILL BE DARKENED, AND THE MOON WILL NOT GIVE ITS LIGHT, AND THE STARS WILL FALL from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 30"And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will seethe SON OF MAN COMING ON THE CLOUDS OF THE SKY with power and great glory. 31"And He will send forth His angels with A GREAT TRUMPET and THEY WILL GATHER TOGETHER His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other.
- This is the Second Coming of Jesus
- Is This is the 7th trumpet in Rev 11? - many of the same things will happen, a trumpet sounded, an earth quake etc
- the rapture will be “in the twinkling of an eye” but there are “days of the sounding of the seventh trumpet” a lot will happen as a part of the second coming
- this is what leads many to separate the the second coming and the rapture into two events.
- it may be that - or it may be that the rapture is instantaneous but the second coming is a process
Parable of the Fig Tree
32"Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near; 33so, you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, [right] at the door.34"Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. 35"Heaven and earth will passaway, but My words will not pass away.
- Many believe this is a prophecy about Israel becoming a nation again - it may be!
- some would say Jesus was talking about the destruction of Jerusalem in this passage because he says “this generation” will not pass away - well this is a difficult passage
- he may have been referring back to the question “when will these things take place" to the destruction of the temple and not his second coming
- he may be saying the generation that sees “the fig tree put forth its leaves” will be the generation that sees his second coming
- the fig tree might be Israel as a nation - 1948
- it might be the Jerusalem in the hands of Israel - 1967
- it might be the rebuilding of the temple - ?????
- The wedding ceremony - it was the Father who gave the groom the go ahead to get the bride
37"For the coming of the Son of Man will be just like the days of Noah. 38"For as in those days before the flood they were eatingand drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, 39and they did not understanduntil the flood came and took them all away; so will the coming of the Son of Man be. 40"Then there will be two men in the field; one will be taken and one will be left. 41"Two women [will be] grinding at the mill; one will be taken and onewill be left.
- Like the Days of Noah
- Gen 6:5 5Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6The LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7The LORD said, "I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky; for I am sorry that I have made them." 8But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD.
- For as in those days - they did not see or believe that judgement was coming
- Noah preached for hundreds of years that it was coming and now one heard him
- they laughed at him - it’s never rained before!!
- he was vindicated with the first drop of rain
- This scripture is one of the cornerstones of Pretrib thinking
- Noah was spared from wrath - as we will be
- then there will be two in a field etc - this looks like a secret rapture doesn’t it.
- this does not have to be secret
- this does not have to be even about the rapture! - "the flood came and took them away - will be taken away” this was not a GOOD thing.
Be Ready for His Coming
- If you hear nothing else all day today HEAR THIS!!! WATCH!!!!!! you do not know the day!
43"But be sure of this, that if the head of the house had known at what time of the night the thief was coming, he would have been on the alert and would not have allowed his house to be broken into. 44"For this reason you also must be ready; for the Son of Man is coming at an hour when you do not think [He will].
- He is coming unexpectantly! be constantly ready.
45"Who then is the faithful and sensible slave whom his master put in charge of his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46"Blessed is that slave whom his master finds so doing when he comes. 47"Truly I say to you that he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 48"But if that evil slave says in his heart, My master is not coming for a long time,' 49and begins to beat his fellow slaves and eat and drink with drunkards; 50the master of that slave will comeon a day when he does not expect [him] and at an hour which he does not know, 51and will cut him in pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
- This is a another super scary verse - that is Jesus decision - he wanted it to be scary
- Be ready to give an account all the time
- you don’t get to just forget what you are about!