I am a part of the teaching team for the Men's Training Center at First Assembly of God in Fort Wayne IN. We are starting a series walking through John Piper's book - Don't Waste Your Life. You can find the book at www.desiringgod.com where it is available for download. Join me and the other members of our team as we journey through this powerful book together over the next few weeks! - My notes are below the audio.
Chapter 1 -
- Page 12 - my fiery father told the story of a man converted in old age. The church had prayed for this man for decades. He was hard and resistant. But this time, for some reason, he showed up when my father was preaching. At the end of the service during a hymn to everyone’s amazement he came and took my father’s hand. they sat down together on the front pew of the church and the people were dismissed. God opened his heart to the Gospel of Christ, and he was saved from his sins and given eternal life. But that did not stop him from sobbing and saying, as the tears ran down his wrinkled face - and what an impact it made on me to hear my father say this through his own tears - I’ve wasted it! I’ve wasted it!”
- what would it mean to waste - or not waste - your life? How do we live a life that is WORTH IT. A life we won’t regret at the end?
- NO one sets out to waste their life - “I wanna be a junkie when I grow up"
- To NOT Waste our lives requires intentionality - "I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life” - I think about the movie “Dead Poet Society” this movie used to burn in my heart because it was all about NOT WASTING this gift of life. About taking life by the horns and being EVERYTHING you want to be. Living Passionately - not like some wimp that will never amount to anything. Not giving your life to something weak and foolish that will make you look like a fool at the end.
- "Somehow there had been wakened in me a passion for the essence and the main point of life. The ethical question “whether something is permissible” faded in relation to the question “what is the main thing, the essential thing?” The though of boiling a life around minimal morality or minimal significance - a life defined by the question, “what is permissible?” - felt almost disgusting to me. pg 14
- What is life really all about? - what is the point? - Why am I here? - then that is what I want to give my existence to.
- "Only one life - ’twill soon be past - only what’s done - for Christ will last” - that plaque on his wall in his boyhood home
- Existentialism -
- there is no meaning beyond what we are experiencing now - that human experience is the only truth we find and define our own truth through our experience of the world - focus on that only that leads people to throw away rules because they are not “REAL” and do life how they choose - because it is the experiences of life that matter. “Eat Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we die"
- reflected in popular culture of the time - and still is.
- An answer
- Francis Shaeffer - The God who is THERE - a real God - truth does not come FROM YOU truth is outside of you and we discover it
- CS Lewis - died on the day of Kennedy assassination - there is a realness to things - you cannot go on seeing through everything forever or there will be nothing left to SEE - pg 20
- John gets a finance - and gets mono - and God calls him to preach
- isn’t it amazing to see the funny way that God leads us?
We live in a world of trivialities - a world of make believe. It is so easy to build your life on absolutely nothing. People who’s whole lives are consumed with vanity and nothingness. Money, Fame, Pleasure, Power - they are all illusions and wasting away - Jesus said:
19“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and ruste destroy and where thieves break in and steal,20but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Make your life about something that MATTERS something that will BE THERE when everything else burns and blows away!
Think for a minute:
- Have you ever felt like you were wasting your life? When? How?
- In what ways have you searched for meaning and purpose?
- Be honest with yourself right now - are you wasting your life?