So I am teaching some in the Midweek Renewal Class at the church where I am Discipleship Pastor. I thought I'd put those times out here as well so the class can access them.
In this class we begin the book of 2 Peter
I pray God says some good things to you through His word.
The notes are below - in the notes the scripture is bolded anything not bolded is an addition of mine.
This is the second letter from Peter to a group of Churches in Asia minor - "Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia"
While the first letter was written to comfort and guide them during a time of persecution this letter seems to have been written to lead them away from false teachers.
- Vs 1 - Simeon Peter - a bond slave and apostle of Jesus Christ - Paul and Peter both use this term for themselves - a slave, bound for life, by their own will, to one master - usually because of love.
- To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours - I LOVE THIS! the roman catholic church elevates Peter to the supreme saint. The one “on whom the church was built” etc. Peter says - you have obtained a faith of equal standing with mine - he writes, not as one OVER us but as one in the same struggle as we are.
- by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ - Our Salvation is born of the righteousness of God the Father and Jesus - he didn’t fudge anything. He didn’t, just let that one by. He proved and reinforced his own righteousness as he saved us. He PUNISHED sin in the cross even as he forgave sinners!
- Vs 2 May grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and Jesus our Lord
- Grace - anything that comes from God without our earning it, the divine power of God to say no to sin
- Peace - shalom - nothing’s broke nothing’s missing - wholeness - wellness
- IN the KNOWLEDGE OF GOD and Jesus - all graces - and all wholeness come from the knowledge of God - knowing who he is and what he has and what he wants - we will talk about this more in verse 2
- Vs 3 His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness - uh buh it says all things and that is what it means!
- His divine power has granted - given - bestowed ALL THINGS that lead to - are advantageous for - both physical and spiritual life AND deep honor for God - reverence
- through the knowledge of him
- again the KNOWLEDGE - epignosis - specific experiential knowledge of HIM - this is NOT just head knowledge - this is experience and
- The direct experiential knowledge of God - given us as a gift by God - is our resource for life and godliness - WANT TO BE MORE LIKE GOD??? get to know him.
- who called us toc (or by) his own glory and excellence
- we were drawn by the glory and excellence of Jesus - we saw his beauty and his holiness and we were called to it and by it.
- Vs 4 by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises - OK Follow the language here - His divine power has granted all things — THROUGH the knowledge of Him — BY WHICH - goes back the the “All THINGS” that his divine power granted us in the beginning of verse 3
- SO by his divine power he has granted to us his precious and VERY GREAT promises
- so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature,
- this phrase is unbelievable - we are partakers - SHARERS - WE SHARE IN
- the divine nature - to give us BACK the image of God that was ours from the beginning.
- in rulership over the earth - Gen
- Rom 8:29,30 - For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.
- Gal 5:16 if you walk in the Spirit you will not gratify the desires of the flesh
- that our hearts would be like his
- in his character - see further in the chapter
- having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire
- Rom 8:2 - for the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death
- this word “sinful desire” has been mistranslated to “lust” many times the word means - inordinate Desire - out of place desire - OVER Desire - when ANYTHING becomes ultimate it becomes an idol