We talk about the things that we s born again people are no longer to be ruled by! Notes are below.
(in the notes the scripture is bolded everything else is an addition of mine)
- Vs 5 Put to death therefore what is earthly in you - do not forget that you died with Christ - when these things try and rise up again from the grave HE put them in PUT THEM BACK
- sexual immorality - fornication - ANY KIND sex outside of marriage
- impurity - includes the thought and verbal life not simply the act of fornication
- passion - this has to do with the physical and emotional life in regards to sex outside of marriage
- Why the emphasis on the sexual? not entirely sure but REMEMBER sex is temporary - it is by definition a “thing of earth” it will cease to exist in the age to come. It is given FAR TOO MUCH attention and emphasis in human culture when it is such a SMALL part of life
- evil desire - EVIL OVER DESIRE - desire things as much as they have worth not MORE than they deserve. Like a kid
- covetousness which is idolatry - inordinately craving anything that does not already belong to you - because it is idolatry - go back to the Augustine quote “He loves thee too little"
- Vs 6 On account of these the wrath of God is coming - the world is being judged for calling all of these things more valuable than the glory of God - the wrath of God WILL be poured out on those who have not upheld the glory of God in the Cross of Christ.
- Vs 7 In these you too once walked, when you were living in them - This WAS your life but there has been a CHANGE
- Vs 8 But now you must put them all away: - another list NOT focussed on the sexual
- vs 8-10 are very parallel to Eph 4:22-31
- anger - settled anger - the inner emotion of anger -
- wrath - the outburst of emotion - the outward actions of an angry person
- malice - the desire to harm another person for whatever reason
- slander - lying about someone, gossip would fit here also
- obscene talk - actually means ABUSIVE language so not specific words or phrases that are obscene but speaking to someone in a way that is abusive or mean
- lying (vs9) - this fits in the list even though the verse mark ends there - "lying to one another"
- Vs 9 Do not lie to one another , seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices - that is not who you are anymore - would a living person go lie down in a coffin?