Pay attention to that phrase - it is significant -
- "your faith in the Lord Jesus” - duh right he was glad to hear about that - they have become believers!!! Praise the LORD
- "and your love for all the saints” - why this? Because it is evidence that the faith is real! In both Philemon and Colossians Paul makes this same kind of statement - When’s the last time you heard something like this from church members or church growth experts. It was not enough for Paul to hear about their faith. He knew it was REAL when there was love -
- 1 Tim 1:5 - "the End of our charge is love”
- John 13:35 - The Gospel creates a community where love is everywhere this is what Jesus said about His followers - Father forgive us for losing this.
Paul’s prayers are not to be missed and two of my favorites are in this epistle. so we are going to spend some time in this prayer. It is so powerful. He prayed earnestly for those he converted. He felt like a spiritual parent to them.
He prayed that the Father would give them a spirit of
- wisdom - to actually understand what you already know - to make the journey from head to heart.
- and revelation - to give you more knowledge deep powerful spiritual knowledge that you do not come to from study alone
- in the knowledge of Him - this is the only knowledge that really matters - the only knowledge worth anything - Oh let me desire this forever!!!
- there is infinite knowledge about Him to discover
- he is endless and endlessly delightful!- endless ocean, bottomless sea!
He prayed that
- the eyes of their hearts may be enlightened -
- to know what is the hope of His calling
- what is the point of this salvation?
- Why did Jesus save us?
- the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints
- the glory of HIS inheritance in US
- the surpassing greatness of His power toward us.
[These are] in accordance with the working of the strength of His might 20which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly [places], 21far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. 22And He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him as head over all things to the church, 23which is His body, the fullnessof Him who fills all in all.