7In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace
- Redemption - the ransom has been paid
- we were captives and the ransom has been paid for our release
- the blood of Jesus was the only thing that could have secured our release from captivity
- Forgiveness of our trespasses
- the places where we stepped off of the path
- the mistakes
- We should live in constant revelation of the riches of His grace
- understand grace is more than mercy
- mercy is not getting what we deserve - what we have coming never comes
- grace is getting what we do not deserve - what we never had coming, never earned, never deserved gets dropped in our laps for free
8which He lavished on us.
- LAVISHED - given to us over and above what could ever be expected.
- His grace OVER FLOWS
- think of a bite that you took that was WAY TOO BIG
- Or drinking from a firehose
- that is how God gives grace
In all wisdom and insight9He made known to us the mystery of His will,
- Through His wisdom
- He did it in the wisest way
- the way God unveils His will is wise - it is the most loving thing he can do and he does it in the most loving way
- sometimes it feels like he is hiding things from us and we don’t like it, but he does it perfectly
- he reveals things when it will be most advantageous to US - never doubt his goodness (see the end of this verse.
- Because of His wisdom
- It was wise of Him to do so
- Believe it or not God showing you Himself is a wise thing for him to do
- His saving you was a wise thing
- His loving you was a wise thing
- Showing his wisdom
- He demonstrated His wisdom through the plan of salvation
- He shows the universe how wise He is in the way that he reveals His will
according to His kind intention which He purposed in Him
- Again we are reminded of His kindness - never forget that ALL that God does he does for Loving reasons, for kind reasons. He is always being kind to you. He never stops being kind to you.
10with a view to an administration suitable to the fullness of the times, [that is], the summing up of all things in Christ, things in the heavens and things on the earth.
- The Message: He set it all out before us in Christ, a long-range plan in which everything would be brought together and summed up in him, everything in deepest heaven, everything on planet earth.
- All things being brought together in Christ -
- Christ will be made ruler of all things
- All things will be brought to Justice and rightness in the cross and the rulership of Jesus
- the wrong made right
- the lost found
- the broken healed
- sin judged
- Col 1:15-2215 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. 17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. 19 For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.
21 And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, 22 he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him - ESV