1Then what advantage has the Jew? Or what is the benefit of circumcision?
2Greatin everyrespect.First of all,that they were entrustedwith the oraclesof God.
- the Jewish people are God’s people - only the first of the beautiful things about what God has done for the Jewish people is that they are the ones He has chosen carry his revelation to mankind. They were supposed to be His messengers
- remember that is just point one - there is much more
3What then? If some did not believe, their unbelief will not nullify the faithfulness of God, will it?
- The Jewish people did not do what God chose them to do - but that doesn’t mean God’s plan failed or that God’s faithfulness is nullified
4May it never be! Rather, let God be found true, though every man [be found] a liar, as it is written, "THAT YOU MAY BE JUSTIFIED IN YOUR WORDS, AND PREVAIL WHEN YOU ARE JUDGED.”
- This needs to be thought of when people talk about the church and use it as an argument against the gospel
- i. "Should any man say that the promise of God had failed toward him, let him examine his heart and his ways, and he will find that hehas departed out of that way in which alone God could, consistent with his holiness and truth, fulfill the promise." (Clarke)
- The general consensus of opinion is nothing to a Christian. He believes God's word, and he thinks more of that than of the universal opinion of men (Spurgeon)
- No amount of human hypocrisy can stop God’s plan
- no amount of human failure can keep the Lord from doing what he has chosen to do.
- He knew they would disobey
- He has it figured out
5But if our unrighteousness demonstrates the righteousness of God, what shall we say? The God who inflictswrath is not unrighteous, is He? (I am speaking in human terms.)
- Here is another point in his argument - So if God knew they were going to be unrighteous and he used that to glorify himself how can he judge them for being unrighteous?
- It all came out good right?
- How can God be mad?
- it’s not fair.
6May it never be! For otherwise, how will Godjudge the world? 7But if through my lie the truth of God abounded to His glory, why am I also still being judged as a sinner? 8And why not [say] (as we are slanderously reported and as some claim that we say), "Let us do evilthat good may come "? Their condemnation is just.
- Evil cannot be justified by God’s use of that evil to glorify himself. God will do what God will do but we are called to obediance and worship
9What then? Are we better than they? Not at all; for we have already charged that both Jews and Greeks are allunder sin;
- Even those who use this justification are not worse than us. No one is better than annoying else
10as it is written, "THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NOT EVEN ONE;
11THERE IS NONE WHO UNDERSTANDS, THERE IS NONE WHO SEEKS FOR GOD;
12ALL HAVE TURNED ASIDE, TOGETHER THEY HAVE BECOME USELESS; THERE IS NONE WHO DOESGOOD, THERE IS NOT EVEN ONE."
13"THEIR THROAT IS AN OPEN GRAVE, WITH THEIR TONGUES THEY KEEP DECEIVING," "THE POISONOF ASPS IS UNDER THEIR LIPS";
14"WHOSE MOUTH IS FULL OF CURSING AND BITTERNESS";
15"THEIR FEET ARE SWIFT TO SHED BLOOD,
16DESTRUCTION AND MISERY ARE IN THEIR PATHS,
17AND THE PATH OF PEACE THEY HAVE NOT KNOWN."
18"THERE IS NO FEAR OF GOD BEFORE THEIR EYES."
19Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that every mouth may be closed and all the world may become accountable to God; 20because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law [comes] the knowledge of sin.
- THIS is what the Law does - it can ONLY Accuse man and glorify God. That is all it was meant to do.
- The Law accuses those who have heard it and are bound to it - but those who have not heard it and are not bound to it still stand accused.
- The POINT is the law cannot save - that is the purpose of this WHOLE discussion
Justification by Faith
21But now apart from the Law [the] righteousness of God has been manifested, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets,
- apart from the law - without the law’s help and not through the power of the law.
- the law and the prophets do bear WITNESS to this righteousness but it does not depend upon them!
22even [the] righteousness of God
- The law is a mirror of the righteousness of God
- The Gospel is an extension of the righteousness of God - it is the REAL thing that the Law can only testify to. It is the true character and nature of Jesus. The law only measures it and says it is real it is an imprint.
- your fingerprint can tell us that you are you but your identity does not derive from you finger print
through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe;
- Faith in Jesus is the way we receive this righteousness
- John 6:29 - Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent."
for there is no distinction; 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
- No one is righteous - not Jew or Greek - or anyone else but God everyone else has fallen short.
24being justified as a gift by His gracethrough the redemption which is in Christ Jesus;
- The ONLY way to receive the righteousness of God is
- as a gift - unearned
- by his Grace - for FREE
- through Jesus redemption
25whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith.
- God DISPLAYED Jesus publicly to all the earth, to all of Heaven
- The mercy seat of God - the place on the ark between the cherubim where the blood was placed once a year - we are allowed to come close to Him
- Expiate - to ATONE - to make amends - to appease. God’s anger was quenched - God’s wrath was ended - all that stood against us was removed from the record
[This was] to demonstrate His righteousness, because in the forbearance of God He passed overthe sins previously committed;
- He was showing himself to be righteous in forgiving all those he had forgiven
26for the demonstration, [I say], of His righteousness at the present time, so that He would be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
- God has made it possible for himself to be both JUST AND FORGIVING simultaneously
- Just because Sin cannot go unpunished
- Forgiving because He has punished his son and not us.
27Where then is boasting? It is excluded.
- How can ANYONE boast when they did not earn their righteousness they only received it as a gift from God?
- No one can glory in this righteousness but Jesus himself who paid the whole price!
By what kind of law? Of works? No, but by a law of faith.
28For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law.
- Justified by faith
- declared righteous
- Just as if I never sinned
29Or is God [the God] of Jews only? Is He not [the God] of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also, 30since indeed God who will justify the circumcised by faithand the uncircumcised through faith is one.
- For all people - in the righteousness that come from faith we are made one. There is no difference.
- The ground is level at the foot of the cross
- equally condemned so that we might be equally REDEEMED!!!
31Do we then nullify the Law through faith? May it never be! On the contrary, we establish the Law.
- This is the big question!
- Does this mean the law means nothing? NOPE
- If Jesus had to die to appease the law then obviously God cares about it
- You have been saved UNTO righteousness not unto nothing.
- The Gospel EMPOWERS us to go BEYOND the law and live out of love which is far greater than the law
"'Twas for my sins my dearest Lord.
Hung on the cursed tree.
And groan'd away his dying life,
For thee, my soul, for thee.
"O how I hate those lusts of mine.
That crucified my Lord;
Those sins that pierc'd and nail'd his flesh.
Fast to the fatal wood.
"Yes, my Redeemer, they shall die,
My heart hath so decreed;
Nor will I spare the guilty things.
That made my Saviour bleed."