vs 4 - 5 - 6: There are a variety of gifts but the same Spirit and a variety of services but one Lord one master and many activities but one God empowering them all - Many different manifestations of the Holy Spirit, and ALL serve the purpose - the purpose of the King. The Holy One. He is the Spirit of Christ. If it is not serving Christ it is not His Spirit! If it is the power of man it is not God’s thing.
vs7 to each - the Holy Spirit will work through everybody - there is not one person through whom the Spirit will speak - He is speaking and working in and through the WHOLE BODY
vs 8 - 11 is a list but NOT an exhaustive list. This is NOT the whole thing just a few examples
- Word of Wisdom - a supernatural gift of wisdom - knowing WHAT to do and HOW to do it. Also could be a specific skill given by the Spirit
- Word of Knowledge - a supernatural knowledge of something that a person could not have known any other way - a fact that comes to us not through the senses or human facility
- Faith - All faith is a gift. Even the smallest grain of faith. This could be just a higher level of faith or specific faith for a specific thing. “If you have the faith of God”
- Healing - specific instances of healing - literally A healing - we should not say the gift the gift of a healing
- Miracles - literally “acts of power” so good
- Prophecy - forth telling AND foretelling
- Distinguishing between spirits - judgement of winds - there are lots of people who have different understandings of this.
- various kinds of tongues -
- interpretation of tongues
Here are the other 16 gifts not listed in 1 Cor 12
- Helping (1 Cor. 12:28)
- Administration (1 Cor. 12:28; Acts 6:2-3)
- Ministry/service (Rom. 12:7; 2 Tim. 1:16-18)
- Teaching (Rom. 12:7; Eph. 4:11-14)
- Encouragement (Rom. 12:8; Heb. 10:24-25)
- Giving (Rom. 12:8; 1 Cor. 13:3; Acts 4:32-35)
- Leadership (Rom. 12:8; Acts 13:12)
- Mercy (Rom. 12:8; Luke 5:12-13)
- Apostleship (Eph. 4:11)
- Evangelism (Eph. 4:11; 2 Tim. 4:5)
- Pastoral guidance (Eph. 4:11)
- Grace (Rom. 12:6; Eph. 3:7; 4:7; 1 Pet. 4:10-11)
- Willingness to face martyrdom (1 Cor. 13:3)
- Intercession (Rom. 8:26-27)
- Hospitality (1 Pet. 4:9)
- Celibacy (1 Cor. 7:8)
It seems like some people receive a specific gift more often than others. I think that is a function of faith. People receive via faith and when we get to a cert
vs 11-12 -
- The variety of our gifts is an expression of our unity and a mechanism to draw us closer together
- we need each other because nobody has all the gifts!
- The variety of our gifts is an expression of God’s creativity and a mechanism to make us more reliant upon the Holy Spirit.
- Each gift flows from our connection to the person of the Holy Spirit
- Each gift is divided and granted via our connection to the person of the Holy Spirit
- Each gift is given to the BODY through the individual!
- these are not your gifts - you are the steward and carrier of these gifts that are meant to be given AWAY to others!
vs 13 -
- All of the disperateness that we had before we have been brought together here and given the Spirit to drink - one reality we partake of that give us the life of Christ
vs 14 - 26 - honoring and valuing
14For the body is not one member, but many. 15If the foot says, "Because I am not a hand, I am not [a part] of the body," it is not for this reason any the less [a part] of the body. 16And if the ear says, "Because I amnot an eye, I am not [a part] of the body," it is not for this reason any the less [a part] of the body. 17If the whole body were an eye, where would the hearing be? If the whole were hearing, where would the sense of smell be? 18But now God has placed the members, each one of them, in the body, just as He desired.19If they were all one member, where would the body be? 20But now there are many members, but onebody. 21And the eye cannot say to the hand, "I have no need of you"; or again the head to the feet, "I haveno need of you." 22On the contrary, it is much truer that the members of the body which seem to be weakerare necessary; 23and those [members] of the body which we deem less honorable, on these we bestowmore abundant honor, and our less presentable members become much more presentable, 24whereas our more presentable members have no need [of it]. But God has [so] composed the body, giving more abundant honor to that [member] which lacked, 25so that there may be no division in the body, but [that] the members may have the same care for one another. 26And if one member suffers, all the members sufferwith it; if [one] member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.
- Look around you -
- Each of these people is a precious gift TO YOU FROM GOD
- Each one of these people carries a gift FROM GOD that is FOR YOU
- you carry a gift from God for these people!
- What gifts do YOU CARRY?
- Are you giving them away?