Key Question - How do I honor God in the way he deserves?
Key Idea - I worship God for who He is and what He has done for me.
Worship - my all time favorite topic - and God's
Worship IS what we were created for - Worship is the purpose of your salvation - Worship is FAR MORE than just songs or an activity - Worship is everything.
We have spent the last couple of weeks talking about being passionate toward God. This is all I am trying to say. To live WHOLE HEARTEDLY toward HIM. To love Him more than anything else in such a way that it is manifestly OBVIOUS!
Jesus declared, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’
This is the definition of Worship -
Heart - the will - the decision making capacity - to CHOOSE to love HIM
SOUL - the emotions - to delight deeply in him - to have a true emotional love affair with Jesus
Mind - the intellect - to be fascinated and entranced by Him. To Fill our minds and employ our intelligence in the pursuit of the Knowledge of God!!!
But it cannot stop there because we are human beings and we must EXTERNALIZE all that is INTERNAL! Faith without WORKS is dead.
God COMMANDS EXTERNAL acts of worship!
sing, GIVE, dance, clap, shout, kneel, bow…
Why sing songs?? - have you ever wondered this? Worship is far more than just songs, but we CANNOT neglect the singing of songs to God because he commands us to do so! Why?
CS Lewis talks about this beautifully in his short work - A reflection on the Psalms
- "We all despise the man who demands continued assurance of his own virtue… we despise still more the crowd of people round every dictator, millionaire, every celebrity who gratify that demand” page 77
- So how is it that we can be OK with God demanding - our praise?? How is that loving of Him?
- What do we mean when we say that a picture is “admirable”… that admiration is correct, adequate, or appropriate… that if we do not admire we shall be stupid, insensible, and great losers, we shall have missed something! page 78
- to NOT admire God is to seriously miss something!
- (God) is the object to admire which is simply to be awake, to have entered the real world; and not to appreciate (God) is to have lost the greatest experience and in the end to have lost ALL. page 78
- imagine those poor people who have never eaten a taco!
- or a chocolate chip cookie!
- never seen a great movie
- never been in love!
- never had a great friend!
- to miss these things is not to have lived at all!
- But the most obvious fact about praise - whether of God or anything strangely escaped me. I thought of it in terms of compliment, approval, or the giving of honor. I had never noticed that all enjoyment spontaneously overflows into praise unless shyness of the fear of boring others is deliberately brought it in to check it. The world RINGS with praise - lovers praising their mistresses, readers their favorite poet, walkers praising the countryside… I had not noticed either that just as men spontaneously praise whatever they value, so they spontaneously urge us to join them in praising it! “isn’t she lovely?” Wasn’t it glorious?”… My whole, more general, difficulty about the praise of God depended on my absurdly denying to us, as regards the supremely Valuable, what we delight to do, what indeed we can’t help doing, about everything else we value. I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation… delight is incomplete until it is expressed! (Page 81)
- Worshipping God is the unstoppable expression of a person who has EXPERIENCED GOD and the completion of our enjoyment of HIM comes ONLY when we are allowed to express that enjoyment through praise!!!
- take a bite of that cookie and you cannot help but say MMMMMM.
- you offer a bite to someone else immediately - OH You HAVE to try this!!! Then you enjoy THIER ENJOYMENT of it!
God commands us to worship with every form of expression because it is only IN THE EXPRESSION of our enjoyment of Him that we will enjoy him TO THE FULLEST!!!
Worship is meant to be lavish, unashamed, and COSTLY
Mary pouring out the alabaster box on Jesus Feet
David refusing to worship God in a way that cost him nothing.
However if our External worship is ever disconnected from an internal reality it becomes detestable to God!
Worship from a wrong heart or wrong motive is detestable to God. If it is EVER about “doing your duty” and your heart is not in it God will not receive it!
Isaiah 1:11 - 20
11"What are your multiplied sacrifices to Me?" Says the LORD. "I have had enoughof burnt offerings of rams And the fat of fed cattle; And I take no pleasure in the blood of bulls, lambs or goats. 12"When you come to appear before Me, Who requires of you this trampling of My courts? 13"Bring your worthless offerings no longer, Incense is an abomination to Me. Newmoon and sabbath, the calling of assemblies-- I cannot endure iniquity and the solemn assembly. 14"I hate your new moon [festivals] and your appointed feasts, They have becomea burden to Me; I am weary of bearing [them]. 15"So when you spread out your hands [in prayer], I will hide My eyes from you; Yes, even though you multiply prayers, I will not listen. Your hands are coveredwith blood. 16"Wash yourselves, make yourselves clean; Remove the evil of your deeds from My sight. Cease to do evil, 17Learn to do good; Seek justice, Reprove the ruthless, Defend the orphan, Pleadfor the widow. 18"Come now, and let us reason together," Says the LORD, "Though your sins are as scarlet, They will be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They will be like wool. 19"If you consent and obey, You will eat the best of the land; 20"But if you refuse and rebel, You will be devoured by the sword." Truly, the mouth of the LORD has spoken.
but in the place of submission and repentance all will be forgiven and new worship can be released and judgement can be turned away.
We were meant to worship TOGETHER
Nearly all of the commandments to praise and worship are given to a body of believers. They are not meant to be heard individually but CORPORATELY.
"Praise the LORD! Sing to the LORD a new song, And His praise in the congregation of the godly ones."