Click below to view the visual presentation
Key Question - What happens next?
Key Idea - I believe there is a heaven and a hell and that Jesus will return to judge all people and to establish his eternal kingdom
Key Verse - John 14:1-2
1“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in Goda ; believe also in me. 2My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.
We are eternal beings - We were not created to die - we were created to rule with God forever - but sin stole that a bit
something of your existence will continue on forever - you will never end.
the question is what will your eternity look like? That is something that begins here in this time - you are deciding that RIGHT NOW.
- Will your eternity be based on your righteousness or the righteousness of Christ Jesus?
- You have a choice. You can receive the righteousness of Jesus or you can go before God based on your own resume
- Matt 7:21"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven [will enter]. 22"Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform manymiracles?' 23"And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’
- Eph 2:8-10 "8For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, [it is] the gift of God; 9not as a result of works, so that no one may boast."
- Eternal Time Line
- 1st Resurrection - at the Rapture - these people stay
- Millennial Reign of Jesus
- 2nd Resurrection all who have ever lived and died
- Great White Throne of the Final Judgment
- New Heavens and New Earth
- Gehenna - The Lake of Fire
- “for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on forever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.”
- Hell is a real place and the eternal destiny of those who reject God’s offer of forgiveness
- was not created for mankind - it was created for Satan and His “angels” Matt 25:41
- It is not God’s will that ANYONE go there at all - 2 Peter 3:9
- Hell is deserved - by all sinners - thats all of us Romans 3:23 - ALL have sinned and fallen short of the Glory
- God provides a way OUT
- Men choose to be with God forever or to run from God forever and God allows them that choice.
- There is are 3 different “hells” in scripture
- Hades - the current abode of those who have not been written in the lambs book of life
- Tartarus - the place where the worst of the angels who rebelled in different ways are being held until judgement day
- Gehenna - the lake of fire where those who are lost and resurrected will go after the final judgement
- a brief end times time line - we will go into this MUCH deeper on May 20th!!!!
- Heaven is a real place and the eternal destiny of those who receive God’s righteousness as their own by grace through faith in the work of Jesus on the Cross.
- there are multiple heavens
- Abraham’s side - where the promised redeemed dwelled before the Cross which is now empty
- Paradise - the place where the saved dead go now until the resurrection/rapture of the church
- The New Jerusalem - a city 1600 MILES cubed. - the dwelling place of the resurrected saints for all eternity
- The New Heavens and the New Earth
- Heaven is not some place far away which we will go to. Heaven is coming HERE for all eternity
- there are multiple heavens
- Still more to think about… REWARD
- How great will your reward be??? -
- God wants us to expect a reward and think about our reward - Hebrews 11:6 - 6And without faith it is impossible to please[Him], for he who comes to God must believe that He is and [that] He is a rewarder of those who seekHim.
- 1 Cor 3:12-15 12Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13each man's work will becomeevident; for the day will show it because it is [to be] revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work. 14If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. 15If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.
- There will be a fire on “the day” the day of judgment is what is being referred to here.
- Our reward will be based on the quality of our work!
- The question is "are we living for Heavenly reward or earthly reward?”
- “wood, hay, and straw” are all perishable and will easily burn but “gold, silver, and precious stones” are costly and last forever even through the fire.
- Are we living life for earthly reward or Heavenly reward?
- 19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thievesbreak in and steal. 20"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rustdestroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; 21for where your treasure is, there your heartwill be also.
- Living our lives for heavenly reward will align us with Heavenly priorities
- SO!!! What will make it through the FIRE???
- Matt 6 reward passages:
- 2-6 2"So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 3"But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees [what is done] in secret will reward you.
- giving to the poor - with the right motive!
- 5"When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they havetheir reward in full. 6"But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees [what is done] in secret will reward you.
- spending time in prayer - with the right motive!
- 16-17 16"Whenever you fast, do not put on a gloomy face as the hypocrites [do], for they neglect their appearance so that they will be noticed by men when they are fasting. Truly I say to you, they havetheir reward in full. 17"But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face 18so that your fasting will not be noticed by men, but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees[what is done] in secret will reward you.
- fasting - with the right motive!
- Matt 25:14-30 - the parable of the talents
- What have you done with all that you have?
- based upon your understanding of the nature of the master -
- will you invest? Risk? Do the scary unsafe thing?
- do you trust the master?
- Things done BY FAITH
- Things done AT GREAT PERSONAL COST
- No Pain, No tears, No death, No Sorrow, All things will be made new. All we have lost because of sin will be returned to us. All that we were meant to be we will be. Far greater, far more glorious, far more FUN and beautiful than we can imagine, because we will be with Him.