What does it mean to do the right thing? How do I know?
I choose to be kind and good in my relationships with others.
Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else.
1 Thessalonians 5:15”
If we are going to be kind and good we need Jesus example and we need Jesus empowerment!
So What does it mean that God is good?
Tozer on the Goodness of God - Knowledge of the Holy
The goodness of God is that which disposes Him to be kind, cordial, benevolent, and full of good will toward men. He is tenderhearted and of quick sympathy, and His unfailing attitude toward all moral beings is open, frank, and friendly. By His nature He is inclined to bestow blessedness and He takes holy pleasure in the happiness of His people.
Exo 33:18 And he said, "Please, show me Your glory."
Exo 33:19 Then He said, "I will make all My goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion."
The LORD, the LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abounding in goodness and truth,
Exo 34:7 keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin
Gods goodness is central to His personality!
Gods goodness is His love in action - on display
What does it mean for us to be GOOD in the world?
We have to look at our world in a different way. We have to look at each moment, each encounter, each detail as an opportunity to BE GOOD.
- Eph 2:8-10 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, Eph 2:9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
- We are the conduits of Gods grace working in and through us into the world - we walk in cooperation with God
- He prepares the good works
- Our goodness is His love working through us to display His nature! That HE may be glorified!
- Matt 5:13. You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people's feet. “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may seeyour good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
Being Good isn’t about NOT being BAD. We’ve gotten that one wrong for a long time.
BEING GOOD is about
thoughtfulness, sensitivity to others and the subtle nudges of the Holy Spirit.
- 1 Thes 5:15 15See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone.
- Become. Walking demonstrations of Gods love in the earth