James 1:17 - Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.
God is the creator and sustainer of this thing called family.
The gift of family - we are not talking just about the nuclear family today.
Luke 1:39 - 45
39In those days Mary arose and went with haste into xthe hill country, to a town in Judah, 40and she entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth.
vs 39 - Mary went to Elizabeth’s house -
There were a couple reasons why Mary might have gone to Elizabeth’s house that day.
- to avoid the reproach of her pregnancy - she was unmarried, it would have been a shameful thing
- to find out the truth of the angel’s words in verse 36 - "36"And behold, even your relative Elizabeth has also conceived a son in her old age; and she who was called barren is now in her sixth month. 37"For nothing will be impossible with God."
- if anybody would believe what Mary was going through it would be the barren woman who was now with child
Family is meant to be a place of refuge and acceptance -
- God created family to be a
- safe place.
- God created the human being to exist in a context - that context is called family
- It is a mirror of the Godhead - Father - Son - Holy Spirit
- God has put people around us that are there to witness our lives
- to be the people who know us best - and YET still love us in spite of ourselves
- to be the people who don’t believe the bad report that’s been put on us
vs 41 - Mary was not disappointed -
Family is a group of people who will stand in agreement and celebration with the dreams and destiny God has for you
- God created family to believe in what God has dreamed about you.
- family recognizes and honors the call and the anointing of God on your life.
Elizabeth was immediately filled with the Holy Spirit and began to prophesy over Mary.
vs 46 - Out of the context of Family we are released to be all God has called us to be
Mary and the Magnificat - Mary was given the permission to praise God for who He called her to be, and what he was going to do because of the gift of family
- God created family to help us be all we are meant to be.
- God fixes broken families -
- God puts the lonely in a family - Psalm 68:6
- Jesus died to welcome you home to family