How is it that every cell in the human body carries the same DNA but they all do different stuff?
Romans 12:3-4 ESV
3For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned. 4For as in one body we have many members,e and the members do not all have the same function, 5so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another.
- We are all members one of another - we learned about this in Pastor Frank’s “We are family” sermon
- We are in this together - for better or worse
- what affects you affects me!
- vs 1 Cor 12:26 - if one suffers we all suffer, if one is honored we all rejoice!
- Leprosy - the body takes care of itself unfeeling causes damage
- We are all different from one another - 1 Cor 12:14-20 read it.
- Each part has a specific and vital role to play - God did it this way ON PURPOSE out of his Desire and by His design
- It was Gods desire and design for our joy
- It is a joy to be used
- It is a joy to love each other in our diversity John 15:11-13 -
11These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.
- This is Gods desire for His glory - John 15:8 8By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit,
- This is Gods desire for mission - Matt 5:16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
- No part should dishonor another
- No part should wish they were another
- No part gets to leave
- The Parts are all directed by the head
- This only works when we are all submitted to the head by the leadership of the Holy Spirit.
- "Community without mission is cancer"
- Let's dream as a body
- Let's have a baby and care more about it than we do about ourselves
- If each part of the body cared only about itself we'd be in real trouble
- If any part stopped being cared for the whole body would be in real trouble
- Take Away
- Cherish each other for who they are
- Become awakened to what YOUR ROLE is
- Play your role boldly but IN STEP with the Spirit in submission to the head and to each other
- Don't be intimidated by the role that others have been created to play. Even if it is similar to yours. The Lord has a beautiful fit that only you can fill and he cannot and will not replace a part of the body that is functioning in submission and cooperation with him
- Go and be the hands and feet of Jesus "Lifter Cards"
1 Cor 12:12 - 31
12For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. 13For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slavesd or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.
14For the body does not consist of one member but of many. 15If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 16And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body.17If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? 18But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose. 19If all were a single member, where would the body be? 20As it is, there are many parts,e yet one body.
21The eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you,” nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” 22On the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23and on those parts of the body that we think less honorable we bestow the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty, 24which our more presentable parts do not require. But God has so composed the body, giving greater honor to the part that lacked it, 25that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. 26If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together.
27Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. 28And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues. 29Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? 31But earnestly desire the higher gifts.
And I will show you a still more excellent way.
11And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherdsc and teachers,d 12to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, 13until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood,e to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, 14so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. 15Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, 16from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.