Our sermon title today is "Gods plan is victorious".
That statement is unalterably true. Gods plan is victorious!
There is no better passage to teach us this truth than Joshua 6 Gods people come straggling out of wondering in the desert for 40 years. They have fought battles and seen miracles, they have watched the Jordon at flood stage part before them and now they have arrived in the promised land.
The first city in the check list is not just a blip on the radar they were comin our swinging.
Jehrico - two walls one within the other the first 12-16ft high and the second on top of its retaining wall stood 20-26ft. There were four defensive towers and a mote dug out of the actual bedrock.
It wasn't a huge town but very well fortified and very old. Some say that it is the oldest known human habitation on earth.
But God has given them a plan..... And what a plan...
Walk around the walls -
- Day one would have been really intimidating
- Day 3 is my guess as to when the mocking started..
- Day 5 is my guess as to when the army was ready to quit. Tired and bored and feeling really useless and stupid
- Not one more time. I can't walk around this same wall again and see no change!
- Nothing is happening why do I keep believing?
- So when Joshua says to them on day 7.... We're walking around 7 times today boys!
- Then we're gonna have a hallelujah hoedown a shout of triumph!
- Shout for God has given us the city!
Where was this battle really won? God "has given us" that's past tense... When did he give it to them?
A whole chapter ago -
- Are you for us, or for our adversaries?” 14And he said, “No; but I am the commander of the army of the LORD. Now I have come.” And Joshua xfell on his face to the earth and worshiped and said to him, “What does my lord say to his servant?” 15And the commander of the LORD's army said to Joshua, x“Take off your sandals from your feet, for the place where you are standing is holy.” And Joshua did so